Over the weekend, Little Miss and I made bird seed ornaments to hand out with Christmas gifts.
- 4 cups bird seed
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 packet unflavored gelatin
- 3 tbsp corn syrup
- In a large bowl mix together flour, water, corn syrup and gelatin.
- Slowly mix in bird seed till fully coated.
- On a parchment lined cookie sheet, arrange cookie cutters and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Press the bird seed mixture firmly into the cookie cutters till entirely filled. The mixture will be very sticky.
- Using a straw, cut out string holes near the top of the ornaments. You may need to wiggle the straw a tad to go all the way through the ornament.
- Let the ornaments dry overnight.
- Once dried, tie string through the holes so the ornaments can b hung up.
- Hang outside for birds to enjoy.
Although making these was fun, I was not happy with the mixture. About half of our ornaments fell apart while trying to remove them from the cookie cutters. I also don’t think this mix of ingredients is the healthiest of choices for birds. I will be searching for a better recipe to try.