There are so many benefits and reasons to incorporate cast iron cookware into your kitchen. I am going to highlight my favorite reasons. First lets start with some basic
When you buy a cast iron skillet you cannot immediately start cooking with it. The first step it to season your pan. I show you how to propely season your pan here to prepare it to use for cooking.
After you have used your pan to prepare a dish, you cannot take care of your cast iron skillet like you would any other pan. I show you how taking care of your pan is simple but you need to do it the correct way in order to protect and keep the integrity of the pan.
Here are my top 10 reasons to cook with cast iron:
- Cast iron skillets add a unique flavor to the food that cook. The more you cook in the pan the better the seasoning gets which also adds flavor.
- Your cast iron skillet will last you a lifetime if you properly take care of it.
- If seasoned properly, your cast iron skillet will be non-stick.
- the skillet absorbs heat evenly which in return provides an even cook on your food.
- Your cast iron skillet has simple and easy care instructions.
- Your cast iron skillet can withstand extreme heat.
- Cast iron skillets are versatile when it comes to heat source. Cast iron can be used over stove-top, in the oven, on the grill and over an open flame.
- When heated, the natural pores of the cast iron open which fats collect in (seasoning) which requires you to use healthy fats to cook with such as butter and coconut oil (avoid those spray cans).
- Due to the high heat tempertures cast iron can handle, you cannot use plastics utensils. You must stick with stainless steel, wood or bamboo.
- Cast iron skillets are non-toxic which makes them the better choice when cooking for your family.
I hope my three part series on cast iron has inspired you to at least think about incorporating it into your kitchen. If you give cast iron a try, I know that it will become a staple in your kitchen for a variety of reasons and recipe.